Thursday 21 April 2011

Q3) What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

Referring back to my case study of a publishing company, I have decided that a magazine publisher such as Harris Publications would be likely to distribute my music magazine. Link: http://www.harris-pub.com/
Harris Publications Inc. is a consumer magazine publisher located in New York that publishes over 75 titles including: Juicy, XXL, Small Business Opportunities, Start Your Own Business, Men's Workout, Exercise & Health, Celebrity Hairstyles, Tactical Knives, Combat Handguns, and many more. One major division, Harris Outdoor Magazines, publishes several titles on hunting, fishing, and firearms.
The media institution that might distribute my media product is ‘XXL’. The reason I picked XXL is because my magazine and their magazines have a lot of similarities.
There is no competition within this publisher’s titles as the magazines are similar but only to an extent. As ‘XXL’ tend to focus on American artists while my magazine focuses on UK artists. Also if you look at both the ‘XXL’ magazine and mine you will identify the various differences such as:
·         The main image of ‘XXL’ being a mid-shot while my magazine is a mid-close up
·         The masthead is on the left while my magazine masthead is in the middle
·         The importance of the main image is shown by my magazine ‘Play’ but not has boldly as it is doe in ‘XXL’. XXL cropped the masthead to make the image more seen while I did the opposite.
This would be financially beneficial to Harris Publications because they would be distributing a magazine to a similar audience to ‘XXL’ but it would be aimed at a different country. This could benefit there appeal as they are not just focusing on one countries talent but instead another countries talent. I believe this magazine will do well under Harris Publications as British artists are creating a wider fan base by promoting there albums in America. Therefore by Harris Publications having a British music magazine they can not only gain followers from Britain but in addition also gain more followers from America who are a fan of British rap. 
From my audience research, I have found out that a number of people order their magazines through subscription; therefore I would definitely encourage subscription to my magazine through Harris Publications which would prove its success with the fact that people are ordering it to their door, as opposed to picking it up off a shelf.
I encourage subscription to my magazine as that way it updates that audience on upcoming magazines. I would prefer to get my magazine distributed in such public magazine shops as WHSmiths and corner shops as I believe my target audience go to those places that most.


It would be sensible having my magazine distributed through music stores also, which are dedicated to attracting the technical type of music lovers, i.e. producers, music makers. The magazine will also be sold to all people and so I would distribute it through well known and respected retailers such as Costcutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment