Thursday 21 April 2011

Q5) How did you attract/address your audience?

My magazine attracts my audience by having a large image of a music artist on the front cover. He is around the age of 17 years old which attracts a very similar age group of readers. They are wearing casual clothes which would attract my audience due to them not wearing expensive branded clothes, which is what a lot of my target audience wear and therefore can relate to.

I used headphones as props in my front cover and double page spread to attract the musicians and DJ’s to my magazine. By having these props in the magazine, not only do they tell the audience something about the artist, but the audience can relate to the image as they too have a passion to music, for example a DJ would be more interested about reading about the music artist called 'Yung E-Lo'
The artists in the magazine front cover is attractive and scruffy – He isn’t well groomed with a clean and fresh haircuts/hairstyles, and so would easily appeal to the female audience who would are attracted to the rugged type, but they would also appeal to males because they would be able to relate to the artist as they are males also.Seeing as how my magazine is aimed at a hip hop audience which is an extremely popular genre, this will enable the majority of people to read my magazine. Also the model used in my front cover is roughly around the same age as the people who my magazine is targeted at, which is 16 - 20 years of age. By including advertisements this will enable my magazine to be more diverse and hopefully creating a great relationship with sponsers.






The colour scheme of my magazine is largely based on black and yellow. I chose this because the particular genre I am aiming my music magazine on is hip hop and r ‘n’ b, and there is a song which has been top 10 for 4months running called black and yellow by Wiz Khalifa. It also blends well with the image that is featured on the front cover. The front cover is relatively bright, making use of white and yellow in the large masthead, yellow/pale yellow cover lines and other pieces of text around the page. To attract more of a youthful audience I made a blackberry barcode which people with blackberries can scan and get exclusive pictures, in a way this is a ‘puff’. All in all, this creates very eye catching magazine which can easily get peoples attention, and in turn would attract audiences to its contents and themed look.

The contents page and double page spread follows the same colour scheme as the front cover. I was going for a cartoon kind of image, bright and playful. This would attract the age targets as the unique scenes, which have been created to support the image of the music artists is eye catching. For example the images being in front of the columns gives as good effect and also shows the importance of the image in the double page spread. The text is written in black as it goes well with the yellow background rectangle. The colours are easily on the eye allowing the reader to read for longer, unlike reading books there the text is a very harsh black throughout which is more preferable for older ages that tend to like reading more.
I have addressed my audience through the use of language that they can easily relate to. An example would be the use of the word “gassed up”. This is street/music language which acts as a pun in the context of its cover line. “I’m gassed up” is meant to mean “I’m over excited”
I have used repetition of the sentence structure and the different meanings of the word “gassed” to create a well expressed understanding of the artists’ excitement in the double page interview, which is easily understood and liked by my teenage and musical-minded audience

No comments:

Post a Comment