Monday 25 April 2011

Looking back at the preliminary task what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to a full product?

The preliminary task I was giving was to create a front cover and contents page for a college magazine. In that task I was giving a Canon EOS 400D to take pictures on my own which I would include in my college magazine. I didn’t find the task easy but as a whole I think the music magazine was much harder. Although I have used photo-shop before I was still confused on certain areas. I had used other cameras before Canon EOS 400D but this camera was the most challenging, in making my music magazine I had to use such equipments as softbox and Canon EOS 400D. I was new to operating them however that did not turn out to be too much of a problem after a bit of practise.

Since the college magazine task, I believe that my organisation of time has improved. I am more cautious of deadlines and sticking to it. This has improved my end product has I didn’t need to rush my work last minute. I completed my research on time and was quick to book studio time to take pictures of my models. Organising props and equipment were easy to get a hold off because they were provided for me and the props that were used are of every day things such as headphones. I wanted my models to pose in a certain way as one of my drafts, meaning I came to the studio with an idea of the kind of photo I would take. This is the kind of preparation that was not used in the college magazine. 



By using the camera I learnt how to set up and use trigger from it to a soft box and also how to take pictures correctly. In addition, I took my pictures portrait so that my models bodies would fit into the frame as well as fitting correctly onto my magazine page.

For the main task I had to also make a double page spread and in order to do that I had to use an A3 canvas. I experienced some difficult at the start because the paper appeared in a portrait format, which was not what I wanted. So I had to rotate the canvas 90 degrees in order to get it to a landscape shape. Before I started my main task my skills at using photoshop were pretty basic so as I progressed with my work I learned how to use photoshop in more dept. Now I'm comfortable with using tools such as magic wand ans lasso. Furthermore, as I had to do a double page spread this required a lot of writing. This made me learn that what I needed to write should be very detailed, but also interesting to engage the reader. In addition since my target audience is black youths 16+, I need to include slang.

When creating my magazine I used a variety of different fonts as they have a major impact on the audience reaction. The majority of fonts that I used myriad pro, the impression that this helps to give my magazine is that it is modern, which is what my audience preferred. I didn't use the same font that I used in my college magazine because I felt it wouldn't be suitable for my audience. For my masthead I used a bold font so that it would be recognisable and eye catching for people to look at. Lastly for my main cover line 'Top 20 Best Artists Of The Month' I made the colour white as it goes with the colour scheme. Plus it stands out in that way to the reader. This enables them to understand that this is something that they most certainly have to read.

Overall, people liked my work I was also pleased with myself for creating a nice piece of work due to hard work and determination and also due to completing my work on time. I feel by working on this magazine my photo skills and photoshop skills have improved.

The weakness of my work is that some of the pictures I had taken were slightly out of focus so I had a small number of photos I could work with. If I was to do this again I would make sure that the focus on the camera would be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment